Saturday, November 1, 2014

Expectation

Ah yes, the behavior that bites you in the ass every time. As a parent, I find this habit to be more detrimental to all involved than most. Your kid doesn’t live up to the standards you’ve set for them and it’s unfair because, it’s their life not yours. If you want to raise the bar, then by all means, you should be the first to clear it. 

So here’s where it gets real tricky, when your kid is on the Autism Spectrum. Everyone else with kids your kid’s age expect big results, you just want your kid to make friends, not get in trouble and not pick their nose. See, while the Mr. & Mrs. REI, or Eddie Bauer push their kids to be the best, I’m sitting there hoping my kid doesn’t become the one they look down at. Expectation is such a shitty thing. Whether your kid is the best or picking their nose, we sit there thinking about how it makes us look or feel. Man that’s selfish bullshit right there. I admit, when my kid leaves his bag of “coping skills” at home, it sucks. It’s hard to watch him implode right before your eyes as his instructor, whom he just met 20 minutes ago, has to yell at him for his behavior or language. The other kids isolate him and now he resembles Alexander, having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. All I can do is sit there, stabbing myself in the leg with a pen so as not to explode and also to try and assimilate the pain he is going through.

I just want to fucking cry…

No comments:

Post a Comment